In joining our Design and Product team, you will have the opportunity to create design solutions for existing and future Gengo products. This is a rare chance to be part of a growing international startup that is serious about technology and is genuinely helping the world to communicate freely. You will be based out of our Tokyo office, joining roughly 30 Gengons who work in product and design, engineering, sales, and operations.
Marketing – Work together with members of the design and marketing team to create concepts, from wireframes to finished artwork, for ad campaigns, social media content and landing pages
Interfaces – Solve usability issues, help redefine content by coming up with better design solutions for our marketing websites, gengo.com and gengo.ai
Editorial – Designing for print and web documents such as brochures, flyers for events, reports, infographics, etc.
Internal documents – presentations, guidelines and sales documents
Requirements & Preferences
- Please submit your resume and portfolio (application without portfolio won’t be considered) that demonstrates a strong eye for branding, typography and attention to detail. When submitting your work samples/portfolio, please indicate your specific role(s) and contributions to each project presented
- A basic understanding of grid systems and layout
- Ability to articulate creative decisions to other designers (and non-designers) clearly and be able to iterate work based on feedback from colleagues and other stakeholders
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment, either independently or in a team
- Ability to empathize with your user(s) and to make design decisions that advocates for them
- Experience working with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign
- A college student or recent graduate majoring in graphic/communication, interaction design or similar
- Experience designing responsively for the web
- Experience working in Sketch
- Basic knowledge of CSS and HTML
For candidates who apply abroad:
- Visa Support – Bachelor's Degree holders only (current students are not qualified)
- Should be able to work full time for at least 3 months (possibility to be hired as a full-time onwards)
- Minimum 1 year professional experience in the field of design
- Start date: As soon as possible
What we're doing.
Gengo is a technology company making translation simple and removing the language barrier for customers as they go global.
Customers order human translation through our website or our API, which lets you plug into our growing network of over 20,000 translators. Gengo helps a wide range of customers — from individual businesses to global enterprises. Gengo also builds a platform to create training data for AI models, helping companies build better machine learning technology.
Approximately 60 employees call themselves Gengons, located in offices around the globe including Tokyo, San Mateo, London, and Manila. Although spread-out, we function as one-team through "wormholes" — our always-on video portals. Essentially, our headquarters is on the Internet!
Why we're doing.
At Gengo, our vision is for everyone to read and publish across languages, with one click.
Salary / Fringe Benefits / Perks
This is a paid internship based in Tokyo for 3–6 months starting as soon as possible in Fall 2018. Our ideal candidate is already based in Tokyo and would be able to join full-time at the end of the internship period.