Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Internship
This opportunity will last, on average, 5 weeks, with most interns beginning early July 2020 and completing their assignments mid-August 2020. Work days and hours will be dependent on the production and competition schedules.
All Internship runners will be required to be present in Tokyo leading up to and throughout the duration of the Games as per their individual assignment.
Interns will be expected to:
- Learn from and work closely with assigned Olympic function to anticipate needs and quickly offer support as required; Functions include:
- Operations: Runners assigned to the Operations team will be responsible for supporting overarching planning, production management, scheduling and production logistics of the on-site operation
- Production/Runner Pool: Runners assigned to a production team or to the runner pool will support Olympic production teams throughout the duration of the Games both on location and in studios settings.
- Services: Olympic Services Runners will support the team managing onsite logistics: accreditation, accommodation, travel, merchandise and talent services.
- Engineering: Runners will work directly with the Engineering team in the International Broadcast Centre to enable successful broadcast across European markets.
- Digital Media: Digital Runners will provide hands on support to the team responsible for digital production. Runners should have a passion for and a familiarity with digital media.
- Completion of various administrative and clerical tasks, running errands and providing overall production support
- Easily move between Olympic venues and/or the International Broadcast Centre (IBC) as assigned or based on operational needs and production schedules
Requirements & Preferences
We’re looking for passionate, hard-working candidates who are confident communicators.
- University students in Tokyo
- Strong written and oral communication skills with fluency in Japanese and conversational/intermediate in English
- Additional language skills are highly desirable (Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Spanish and Swedish preferred)
- Interest in the Sports Media Industry
- A flexible approach to long working days
- A willingness and a positive approach to any required tasks
- Solution-focused when presented with a new challenge
- Preference given to those studying, or with a background in, the Broadcast Industry or Journalism, Communications, Graphic Design, Engineering, Business, Events Management, Digital Media
- Sound knowledge of, and ability to use, internationally accepted IT software and systems
- Team player
- Personal interest in the Olympics
What we're doing.
Discovery is the global leader in real life entertainment, serving passionate fans around the world with content that inspires, informs and entertains. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year across deeply loved content genres.
Available in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery is a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens and services, from linear, free-to-air and pay–TV channels to digital products and streaming services, to social and mobile-first content and formats. Discovery’s portfolio of premium brands includes Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Travel Channel, Turbo/Velocity, Animal Planet, and Science Channel, as well as OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network in the U.S., Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport, the leading provider of locally relevant, premium sports and Home of the Olympic Games across Europe.
Salary / Fringe Benefits / Perks
Over the course of the year you will have the opportunity to learn in an international environment, develop your English skills, gain first-hand production experience and work during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games as a part of the Discovery Eurosport crew in Tokyo.
You will learn about Discovery’s mission, values, culture and commitment to quality programming, products and services. In turn, you will be able to showcase your unique talents, cultivate your skills and most importantly, have fun.