Data Science Internship
- Create data collection and preprocessing pipeline to parse and clean unstructured data into a structured one
- Engineer features to address particular business needs.
-Apply outlier detection methods manually and in an automated way.
- Build end to end machine learning models and define metrics to quantify predictions quality.
Requirements & Preferences
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated from a M.Sc. or a Ph.D. program in GIS, Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Physics or related quantitative field.
- Experience with statistical modeling, data analytics and visualization using Python or R (Numpy, Pandas, Scipy, Plotly, Matplotlib)
- Experience with regression and classification machine learning algorithms.
- An enthusiastic and motivated person with a growth mindset and passion to solve real-world problems.
- Language Requirements:
+ English: Business Level
+ Japanese: Not required
Great to have one of the following but not required:
- Software engineering background
- Experience with geo spatial data and GIS tools such as Qgis, Arcgis and Postgis
- Familiarity with routing algorithms and opensource tools (such as graphHopper or OSRM)
- Familiarity with geospatial data analysis libraries such as GDAL, Geopandas and shapely in python or equivalent in other languages
Previous work or research in logistics
What we're doing.
We launched Rakuten Institute of Technology in 2006 as the dedicated R&D organization for the Rakuten Group. Since then, anticipating that the constant scaling up of internet services will result in a shift from simple linear growth to a radically different paradigm, we have proposed a vision called the “Third Reality” to aim at novel research & development for the business. In a sense, our interest in the subject is not merely academic. It is the creative mind-set that drives us to open up an entirely new frontier.
Why we're doing.
At Rakuten Institute of Technology, our research is guided by a vision called the Third Reality, and we collaborate with various departments in Rakuten, as well as external organizations, in order to maximize our impact. The Third Reality vision is based on three key concepts.
- Evolution of society
These days the physical world is becoming increasingly integrated with the digital world. There is no longer a clear border where one world ends and the other begins. As the cyber world evolves and expands to pervade all areas of life, users and physical reality are evolving even more. The border between them is disappearing such that together they are forming a new reality, which we call “The Third Reality”.
- Overcoming conflict
People may see a dichotomy when a new technology appears. However, the relationship between the real and online worlds can be seen as collaborative and we strive to propose ideas that go beyond the conflict. As such, we believe that a third option will give us power to move further forward.
- Users first
The Third Reality arises from the interaction of users with the ever expanding virtual world. The ways users can interact with the online world are increasing and internet services can be ever more personalized to the individual. The new reality is created in collaboration with users, so user's seamless experience is always important to us.
Salary / Fringe Benefits / Perks
Our internships are typically 3 to 6 months long, and each intern is assigned a mentor who will be there to support them at all stages, from the valleys of despair to the peaks of ecstasy!