Advocacy, Outreach, & Resource Mobilization Intern
Under the supervision of the Director of the UN Women Japan Liaison Office, the main responsibilities of the Intern will be to assist work of the UN Women Japan Liaison Office including the following;
- Assist Japan Liaison Office to research, analyze, plan, develop and manage public and private sector partnership building for mobilizing resources for UN Women;
- Monitor trends and issues which impact gender equality and women’s empowerment and identifying opportunities for UN Women;
- Conduct outreach activities including the formulation of information and tools through SNS, UN Women JLO website and other information platforms;
- Prepare and coordinate various events of the UN Women Japan Liaison Office;
- Produce communication materials such as fliers, posters, videos, and presentations;
- Handle inquiries from students, companies and general public;
- Assist with preparing electronic documentation for placement on the UN Women intranet (SharePoint), the division’s shared drive and Donor Agreements Management system;
- Assist coordinating with private, public, and academic entities in performing JLO’s advocacy activities;
- Assist in logistical and operational support and provide other assistance as identified during the internship period.
Requirements & Preferences
- The intern must have studies in gender, human rights, development or other similar subjects at the university level.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Language: Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required; Working knowledge of another UN language a distinct advantage.
- Interns are not financially remunerated by UN Women.
- UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
Selected applicants must provide the following document by email: 1) the internship application; 2) two letters of recommendation; 3) proof of health insurance; 4) school enrollment; 5) passport; and 6) visa (if applicable).
- Ability to translate both ways between English and Japanese;
- Excellent research and analytical skills (including the ability to succinctly summarize research findings in written briefs, reports, etc.);
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (i.e. MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Social media and web design experiences, including tools and programs, are desirable;
- Proficiency in design software such as Adobe Illustrator is desirable;
- Attention to detail, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to work in a team and work effectively under pressure.
What we're doing.
The Purposes of the United Nations are:
To maintain international peace and security, and to that end: to take effective collective measures for the prevention and removal of threats to the peace, and for the suppression of acts of aggression or other breaches of the peace, and to bring about by peaceful means, and in conformity with the principles of justice and international law, adjustment or settlement of international disputes or situations which might lead to a breach of the peace;
To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and to take other appropriate measures to strengthen universal peace;
To achieve international co-operation in solving international problems of an economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian character, and in promoting and encouraging respect for human rights and for fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion; and
To be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations in the attainment of these common ends.
Why we're doing.
The United Nations (UN) was tasked to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international co-operation and be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations.
Salary / Fringe Benefits / Perks
-Duration of Initial Contract: 6 months
- Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 months
- The internship offers students the opportunity to acquire direct exposure to UN Women’s work. It is designed to complement women’s development-oriented studies with practical experience in various aspects of multilateral technical cooperation but also complements other international studies, including law.